Saab 900 Wheel bolts (1992)

Forum Modellspecifika forum OG900 Saab 900 Wheel bolts (1992)

Detta ämne innehåller 10 svar, har 4 deltagare, och uppdaterades senast av 2007-02-15 22:00.

Visar 11 inlägg - 1 till 11 (av 11 totalt)
  • Författare

gmc
    Deltagare

Hi. Until the manuals for our 900 arrive I have a few ”basic” questions I hope you don’t mind answering.

– What size wheel bolts should be used on the car. The size I have managed to track down on the net is 14 x 1.5. What length should they be and what angle should they be. (I am using standard steel rims)

– I have noticed wheels advertised for the 900 and it seems there are two different bolt diameters, up to 87 and 88 onwards. What is the difference in the wheels. Is it the nav center hole or the diameter to the center of the bolt holes.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards – Gary

The distance between the bolt holes are different. After 1987 the Saab 900 has the same bolt measurements as the 9000 model.

If you’re using aluminium rims, try to find bolts for aluminium. Standard bolts tend to get stuck easily.

gmc
    Deltagare

Rasmus – Thanks for the info, got some info from Jonas as well (thanks) and the different bolt diameters are 114.3 up to 1987 and 108 from 1988 onwards. I went and picked up some new bolts today and they are 14 x 1,5 and will work on steel and alloy wheels. I was told there was only one angle for this type of bolt, presumably 60 degrees.

After having a good look at all the writing on the wheels it turns out one of the wheels is a 6J x 15 and the other three are 5 1/2 J x 15. Also major problems getting the wheel nuts loose, so far one has snapped off, hopefully I will be able to drill and tap the rest of it out. The strangest thing is the cone/tappered part of some of the bolts is deformed. How that’s happened I don’t know. Will post an image once I have got all the wheels off.

Now to find a replacement rim.

Thanks – Gary

gmc
    Deltagare

Hi – Replaced the wheel bolts on the 900 and all are okay other than very rusty and the bolt heads worn. I found some wheel bolts in the boot when I was clearing it out. Does anyone know what would cause the damage on the bolt in the following image.

Damaged wheel bolt

A bit worrying when you find them lying around in the boot. Still trying to remove the broken bolt, hopefully tomorrow I will have some luck at the local garage.

Regards – Gary

That looks very strange, I’v seen a lot of bolts but that was new, interesting. Perhaps water has somehow leaked through cracks in the rim… Whatever made it look like that it has not happened thru everyday use, a lot of time has allowed that process to take place.

Bengt Åkesson
    Deltagare

Wild guess, lose bolts during a long time.

/B

Yep, I think Bengt is right again :O
    I think those bolts were lose, BUT not with aluminium rims, ordinary steel rims.

gmc
    Deltagare

Rasmus/Bengt – Thanks for the information. Been a few days since I could get online, most telephone lines in Ekeby are down. Unfortunately I don’t know the history of the car but it came with steel rims. Have replaced all the bolts and torqued them correctly. Will hopefully replace the front wheel hub today.

Regards – Gary

janneh
    Deltagare

If these bolts were lose and the previous owner might have considered them to worn to be reused and he just tossed them in the trunk and replaced them. For your peace of mind it would have been better if he had tossed them in the bin so you never would have seen them….

Bengt Åkesson
    Deltagare

Gary. Check the bult holes on the steel rims for damages IF the pre owner has used the bad bolts on those rims.

/B

gmc
    Deltagare

JanneH – I agree, it would have been better if they had thrown them out. But at the same time it goes to help build a picture of what and why things are as they are. Finding the bolts made me look a lot closer at the wheels than I probably would have.

Bengt – I think the previous owner dumped the bad rim and replaced it with one the wrong size (or different size). I found a set of all year tires on a set of identical steel rims for a very resonable price. So all rims will be replaced and I have also bought a complete new set of wheel bolts. Just the wheel hub needs replacing. (I checked the original rims, no damage or marks in the bolt holes.)

Now all thats left is the wheel hub – Getting there.

Visar 11 inlägg - 1 till 11 (av 11 totalt)

Du måste vara inloggad för att svara på detta ämne.

Genom att fortsätta använda denna webbplats godkänner du användandet av kakor. mer information

Dina kakinställningar för denna webbplats är satt till "tillåt kakor" för att ge dig den bästa upplevelsen. Om du fortsätter använda webbplatsen utan att ändra dina inställningar för kakor eller om du klickar "Acceptera" nedan så samtycker du till detta.

Stäng