1966 Saab 96 (Barn find)

Forums Övrigt Projekt / Min bil 1966 Saab 96 (Barn find)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by 2012-06-13 20:02.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

gmc
    Deltagare

A stroke of luck (2-stroke) brought me to this car in a barn. First impression was a bit daunting but the more I cleaned and looked, the better the car became. It has been in the barn since at least 1978 and covered/filled up with straw and lots of other nasty looking things I don’t want to know the name of.

My goal is to restore the car to as near original as I can manage, no decals on this one. As soon as I have started work proper on the car I will make sure I update this thread. Many photographs have been taken since first seeing the car, a link to the galleries will apear soon.

I am not sure of the condition of the engine. It is seized and the first thing I am trying to do is get the spark plugs out so that I can put some oil in the cylinders in the hope of freeing it. Only problem is, what size is the spanner you need to remove the spark plugs, 1″?, and where to get one.

gmc
    Deltagare

Couldn’t resist trying to get the spark plugs out. Drove around quite a bit looking for someone who had either a 26mm or 1″ ring spanner but nothing anywhere, the only place that would have had something closed early because of mid-summer. So I tried another way, 26mm socket, with the top of the plug sticking through it and a “monkey wrench” (rörtång) on the socket. Got two of them out with no problems but the front plug wouldn’t come out. Broke off the top of the plug so that I could use the 26mm socket and wrench, it came out as well.

I poured some oil into each cylinder, put the car in neutral, and put a socket on the bolt at the front of the crank shalf. It moved a little back and forth but when I tried to do more the nut just turned but not the pully/crank. Am I doing something wrong in trying to turn the engine with the bolt on the crankshaft pully or ?

Any comments or advice can be posted in Swedish, my reading and speaking Swedish is improving but I am a long way from writing in it.

Bengt Åkesson
    Deltagare

I have a original spark plug tool for a Wartburg 1956 two stroke. I found the tool when I took care of some tools after my late father. It´s yours when it´s time to fire up the stroker.

/B

gmc
    Deltagare

Bengt: You are a star, thanks. I will make sure I plan a trip down to Bialitt this summer.

gmc
    Deltagare

No work on the car today, this is from two days ago.

But here is a link to the galleries I have on the car, from first visit through to present.
    http://www.car-id.biz/saab1966/index.html.

I will be putting images in this thread as I carry out the work on the car, but the galleries will contain more images.

Morten S.

Er det så å forstå at motoren ikke går rundt? Har du prøvd å sette den f.eks 4. gir låse frihjulet og dytte litt på bilen.
    Fått ut den siste tennpluggen? Det pleier å gå fint å sette på en skiftenøkkel (wrench).
    Har du prøvd å ha litt olje/rustløser rundt tennpluggen?

Been a Saab owner since 1987.
    I have owned at least 30 Saabs, mainly older Saabs.
    Today I have:
    1960 93F
    1967 96 Monte Carlo 850
    1974 96 "rally car"
    2007 9-3 SC

gmc
    Deltagare

Morten: Tyvärr bilen är parkerad i en backe och jag kan inte skjuta det medan i växeln. Alla tändstift är nu ute.

Jag har försökt att vrida vevaxeln med hjälp av bulten som håller på remskiva, men bulten bara vänder, inte vevaxeln eller remskiva. (Google translate)

Morten S.

Nå som tennpluggene er ute skal du kunne dreie motoren for hånd, bare ved å dra i reimskiven.
    Går den ikke rundt da kan du prøve med diesel eller totaktsolje i sylindrene og la det stå litt.

Been a Saab owner since 1987.
    I have owned at least 30 Saabs, mainly older Saabs.
    Today I have:
    1960 93F
    1967 96 Monte Carlo 850
    1974 96 "rally car"
    2007 9-3 SC

enor
    Deltagare

Pull out the engine, remove the cylinder head and do the “molotov cocktail” trick… that is, fill the cyls with diesel or kerosene, dip a rag in each pot to act as a wick, and set fire to the thing. This makes the cylinder walls expand due to the heat, and as the walls expand your lubricant (the diesel or kerosene) will seap through, gradually freeing your engine.

This is an old and well proven trick, and much kinder to your engine than trying to just crank it loose with raw power.

gmc
    Deltagare

Morten: I have tried putting oil in the cylinders and leaving it over night, still no movement.

Enor: I love the solution, especially since I come from Belfast, and molotov cocktails are just known as “petrol bombs” over there, very appropriate. The engine is definitely coming out and I won’t try more work on it till it is on the bench.

I think I have found one of the reasons the engine won’t rotate, when I sat in the car and tried to push the clutch pedal it wouldn’t move at all. When I opened the clutch cylinder this is what I found.

It seems the alloy clutch cylinder has oxidized and the hydraulic fluid has turned to powder. I have cleaned a bit of it out to see if it was dry all the way down, it was a little damp at the bottom. I think I will definitely need a cylinder kit if I am to use this again.

I did check the brake fluid, it is still liquid but I expect that is because the brake system is all in steel.

I definitely need to get this car into the garage so that I can strip it down to get a good look at all the parts and start restoring the parts as they come off the car.

gmc
    Deltagare

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to work on the car and the way things are I don’t think I will be able to in the near future. So, sadly, I decided that a new home has to be found so that the car can be brought back to life again rather than spend another winter in my driveway under a cover.

I think I have found the right home for it, last photo as it leaves to move in with Per-Erik. Looking forward to following his project thread.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Genom att fortsätta använda denna webbplats godkänner du användandet av kakor. mer information

Dina kakinställningar för denna webbplats är satt till "tillåt kakor" för att ge dig den bästa upplevelsen. Om du fortsätter använda webbplatsen utan att ändra dina inställningar för kakor eller om du klickar "Acceptera" nedan så samtycker du till detta.

Stäng