c900 leather (what to do)

Forum Modellspecifika forum OG900 c900 leather (what to do)

Detta ämne innehåller 9 svar, har 4 deltagare, och uppdaterades senast av 2012-08-24 18:09.

Visar 10 inlägg - 1 till 10 (av 10 totalt)
  • Författare

matej
    Deltagare

Hi!

First I would like to say sorry, because I don’t speak Swedish (i come from Slovenia). I can see you are very good c900 forum (i often use google translator 🙂 ).

Here is my question. Leather on my c900 convertible looks like it is detached, as you can see on the picture. Do you have any idea what to do. Should I get a new leather for the seat, or would just help to detach and attach leather covers on seat (and then paint the scratches).

Thank you for your help!

Matej

turbocab
    Deltagare

We can help you – but we demand a picture of your nice car first!!! 😛

A rare colour you have there, and leather on the lower inside of the door indicates a TurboS or something very well equiped at least?

Anyway, difficult to see from the picture how bad it is, but Im guessing you can go a long way with that seat, without dismantling anything.
    First of all get a good cleaner for leather, obtainable from various places – http://www.partsforsaabs.com have nice products that restore the smell too! Making the seats clean first is important, so use first the cleaner products. You can surely get cleaner stuff from furniture stores too. IKEA has it too! (if available in your country?) When the seat is clean, next step:

What you then need is a leather-dye (colour). This can be obtained from people working with leather-seats, interior or possibly stores selling leather furniture. PRoblem is ofcourse to find a suitable colour similar to what you have. Then you can paint the leather, and what you are looking for is the dry parts to soak up the colour and become re-pigmented again. Wipe off excess paint. THis may have to be done one or two times. Make sure the seats are dry again from the cleaning process before dying.

Then moist the seats again, lots of products available for this as mentioned, usually in kits with cleaner and moisturizer. I use stuff for furniture with Bees-wax, smells nice! But the product as mentioned above from Partsforsaabs is very nice and smells awesome!! But my girlfriend hates the smell and gets instant sick every time she rides, so I had to stop use it. 🙄

Good luck with the seats – with cleaning, painting, and moisture I think you can come a long way. Now post a pic….
    (check out my convertible in the Garagetlink by the way)… /Martin, Turbocab.

matej
    Deltagare

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I have already bought cleaner and conditioner from Liquid Leather – Gliptone (http://www.liquidleather.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;). On this computer I only have photos before I cleaned (it took me couple of days to clean the whole interior) and conditioned them. I will show picture of clean seats on monday. I will paint seats, but first I need to know if there is a way to ”fix” seat cover. As you can see, it looks like it is detached. Or maybe is it worn out? Have you ever tried to get seat apart? Here you can see manual: http://www.twinsaabs.com/900_repair/seatskins/front.asp” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false; . I want leather to look almost perfect. 😀

Here is before picture (you can also see damaged dashboard – someone damaged it during stealing radio (probably during the shipping).

Ok, let me introduce my car. It comes from USA, I bought it in december 2009, and it arrived here in march 2010. It is very well equiped. It is last year model (1994, but it is not CE), so it has air conditioning, auto gearbox (don’t know if I’ll keep it, or install manual), fog-lights, everything electric, new roof, front heated electric leather seats, upgraded speakers. It also has remote engine start with a remote control 😎 . It basicly has 160 hp (B202 engine, turbo).

Bad news is that the car is sitting in garage, because of our stupid law (our law + european law) I still did not manage to get all the papers I need. They are claiming that the car is produced for USA, and not for EU, but I hope I will manage that soon enough (if not, I will have to export it to Germany, where I can get all the papers, and import it back again to Slovenia).

I have already bought aero body kit (I still don’t have rear aero bumper extension – so if anyone has it, I would like to buy it), and also 16′ super aero wheels. When I will have time I will make wooden dash,.. I believe I will fully restore it next winter.

Here is one more picture of a c900 being transported.

In Slovenia there is 5 (!!!) c900 convertibles and 1 (!!!) c900 t16 aero (1984). So this car is super-rare over here (maybe we have more Ferraris then c900 in Slovenia 😀 ). I also own 9-5 (2000) 2.3 lpt.

PS: You cars look fantastic. Just checked the cars on garaget.

torbo
    Deltagare

The convertible is fantastic, i love them!
    I think the most important thing to do is to clean the leather before doing anything else with it. Oh, you’ve already done that 😆

@matejjordan wrote:

Hi!
    I will paint seats, but first I need to know if there is a way to ”fix” seat cover. As you can see, it looks like it is detached. Or maybe is it worn out? Have you ever tried to get seat apart?

I don’t think it’s very difficult to disassemble the seat, but it takes time.
    @matejjordan wrote:

Here is before picture (you can also see damaged dashboard – someone damaged it during stealing radio (probably during the shipping).

Hm.. If you where living in sweden I would just advise you to go to the local scrap yard for a ”new” one. But I figure there’s not that many og900 in Slovenia. 🙄
    There’s no way to fix the damaged dashboad with a good result, you’ll have to buy a new one.

matej
    Deltagare

Thank you!

Dashboard is OK. I bought a new one (well, used one). But as I said, pictures are from april 2010. I will post new one on monday!

You are correct, there are not plenty c900 here. Too bad that ”local shops” don’t use internet, because there is no problem for me to pay via credit card/paypal.. I often check blocket.se, but so far I couldn’t find any seats (or just seat covers), that would fit c900 convertible.

torbo
    Deltagare

Okey, It’s always nice with pics 😀

Last time I saw a new leather seat cover for saab 900 was months ago. I think the price started at 1500kr, for just the bottom part.
    Just regular seatcovers should be available in most lokal shops, but most of the covers are ”universal” to fit all cars.
    I think there are a few seatcovers for 900 on Ebay, but I’m not sure. 🙄

turbocab
    Deltagare

With ”detached” you mean that the seat is very flat? Its a standard problem, especially on Convertibles. It needs to come apart, I think it needs to be re-attached with thread again. There are like seams that have broken undernieth. Im not sure how much work it is – its something I would give away to a professional. Im not sure if maybe its only the metal-grid on the underside that is broken – that grid can be bought as spare, Speedparts have them. I did replace that on one car, but didnt really have the flat-problem on that as I recall.

Hope you work it out with the damned paper-work, such things sucks. In any case a nice rare car. A bit shame with the auto-gearbox, on the other hand its not too bad on a convertible when you cruise around town Swedish-style. Its good to have a hand free to fight off all the ladies trying to get in the car. 😆 As I understand you need to check the oil in it and not force it with full throttle on the motorway for too long, it could overheat.

matej
    Deltagare

Hi to everyone!

In september 2011 I finally managed to register my c900 convertible. It also has oldtimer status, so I have 90% discount on insurance (fantastic!!).

In next post I will resend my newest photo of the car. Now I am driving car as a summer vehicle. Auto trans. caused some problems, because all the fluid was gone. I need to refill it, and I can see that auto trans is not holding fluid, so I need to add it little by little. I hope I will solve this problem when I remove the engine and transmission. I have still not decided it I will keep it automatic or switch to manual. It is very good driving on local roads, but when the speed is high, there is just too much noise.

I am still having problems locating good parts for the car. Does anyone of you in Sweden knows good place to find parts? I tryed blocket.se, but did not find anything really good. I also tryed in Italy, but mostly parts there are gone the same day they come (very rare car). So if you know any good contacts, or any of you sell parts, I would be really happy (need parts that are mostly for all c900s from -87-94).

matej
    Deltagare

Here is the photo I took last week:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

henrikg
    Deltagare

@matejjordan wrote:

Here is the photo I took last week:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice picture, and lovely roads you got 🙂

BR,
    Henrik

Visar 10 inlägg - 1 till 10 (av 10 totalt)

Du måste vara inloggad för att svara på detta ämne.

Genom att fortsätta använda denna webbplats godkänner du användandet av kakor. mer information

Dina kakinställningar för denna webbplats är satt till "tillåt kakor" för att ge dig den bästa upplevelsen. Om du fortsätter använda webbplatsen utan att ändra dina inställningar för kakor eller om du klickar "Acceptera" nedan så samtycker du till detta.

Stäng